CPS – Maharashtra | Gujarat :
[CPS] College of Physician and Surgeons of Mumbai was established in 1912. CPS was established with view to provide PG Medical courses to cope up with shortage of Medical colleges in India. Before 2009 CPS was under MCI and now CPS is an Independent body recognized by MMC and Maharashtra Govt. After 2011 Gujarat Govt. has given approval to CPS.
- Established by Government vide GR no. 6904 on 12 October 1912 by the assent of His Excellency the then Governor in accordance with the “Royal College of Surgeons of England”
- Registered as Scientific Society under Government of India Act XXI of 1860 for the registration of Literary, Scientific and Charitable Societies.
- Government of India admitted the qualifications of CPS to the Schedule of Bombay Medical Act VI of 1912.
AIMS AND OBJECTIVES
- Promoting specialty based medical practice.
- To arrange Post Graduate Medical Training, Research & Advances in the Medical Profession.
- To consider the various governments, semi-government, certain tertiary care hospitals, other private medical colleges and private hospitals for the training of the students in their respective specialty.
- To examine the candidates for their competence in their respective specialty to work as a specialist preferably at district and rural areas.
- To strengthen the health care system in rural and peripheral areas by making specialists available where MD/MS/DM/MCh are not available.
- CPS Fellowships & Diploma Courses are notified by Government of Maharashtra vide notification no. MMC/1096/111/96/Act and vide GR Extraordinary 4-B through notification no. PGM.1010/CR-18 (Part 2)/10/EDU-2 and in the Maharashtra Medical Council Act 1965.
- Government of Gujarat has recognized all the Fellowships and Diplomas of CPS to strengthen the infrastructure of the medical fraternity in the state of Gujarat vide Gujarat Government Gazette no. GP-17-MCG-102011-2213-J dated 14th October 2011 notified by Health & Family Welfare Department, Government of Gujarat under the Gujarat Acts.
CPS is registereble since its existence in:
- West Bengal Med Council vide Bengal Medical Act 1914.
- Tamil Nadu Med. Council vide TN Medical Act 1914
- Punjab Med. Council vide Punjab Med. Reg. Act 1916
- Orissa Med. Council vide Orissa Medical Registration Act 1961
- More than 125 accredited medical institutions including Govt. Medical Colleges, Corporation Medical Institutions, medical Colleges under Deemed Universities recognized by UGC, Private Medical Colleges are inspected, approved and affiliated to CPS for training post graduate specialists (Fellowships/Diplomas) in the state of Maharashtra.
- More than 20 institutions on similar grounds have been affiliated to CPS from Gujarat to conduct CPS PG training programs
TRAINING & ACADEMICS
- CPS has attained high standards of learning, training, research facilities and of assessment of its Fellowships and Diploma programmes.
- CPS is perpetually in the pursuit of excellence and ceaselessly strives to develop and maintain its academic standards at highest level.
- Faculties are drawn from amongst the most eminent professors and distinguished specialists of various fields of medicine and surgery.
- Competency based curriculum developed for each discipline by the relevant faculties
- CPS has set high standards of examinations for students to attain perfection and expertise in their field of medical specialty.
- The Assessment of training is finally conducted through a candidate friendly system of examination
- The Examination is supervised by the elite of medical professionals